Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother's Day Mexican Fiesta

Last year my brother, sister, and I made an impromptu Mexican fiesta for Mother's Day. Everything turned out to be amazing so this year we decided to continue the tradition, but really plan it out. My brother did most of the researching but we both put the menu together. Sabrina and I did all the food shopping while Jesse stayed home to plant the lilac bush we bought my mom for Mother's Day. (Side note: For as long as I can remember, this has a been a favorite of hers - I'm surprised it took us so long to get her one of her own.) Anyway, I don't have pictures of all the individual things we made but here's the table and then tell you all what there was.

Not pictured - we started the afternoon off with a giant bowl of guacamole and a huge dish of sangria. When it comes to guac, I've found that the best way to make it is to mix in a few spoon fulls of the salsa of your liking into some mashed up avocados. Then I add in some roasted jalapenos, garlic, and salt. The sangria was made with two bottles of Spanish roija wine, sprite (zero), a few shots of brandy and cut up lemon, lime, apple, orange, and handful of strawberries.


DINNER

  • Salad: baby arugula, baby spinach, mango, corn, and toasted pecans. For the dressing we combines olive oil, apple cider vinegar, juice of 2 limes, chili powder, and cayenne pepper - mmm!
  • Yellow rice
  • Beans
  • Grilled zucchini, mushrooms, red peppers, onions, and jalapenos all marinated in tequilla, lime juice, and cilantro.
  • Chicken breasts and skirt steak both marinated in an asada sauce (I WILL post the recipe for this sauce that we made, because it was TOO DIE FOR, just need to find it).
  • Corn tortillas and whole wheat tortillas
And it was a make your own fajitas :) Everything was amazing and Mexican fiesta has officially become a tradition at the Toledano house for Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment